Wednesday, April 16, 2014

2014

Our Babies Delivery

At the end of February we welcomed our third child, Emmett Lyle Herrscher.  The delivery was the quickest yet at a speedy 5.5 hours via a VBAC.  At 9:30 am I received a call from the hospital telling me to come in for my induction.  Because we were not certain it was going to happen on Friday, Brian decided to go to work in the morning.  As soon as I called he headed home.  Grandma Herrscher came out to stay with Caden & Ava during the delivery.  We arrived at the hospital around10:30 am and the pitocin was flowing by 11:30.  The contractions started getting very painful so I opted for my epidural as soon as possible.  I was then dialated to a 4.  Around 1:30 pm my water was broke and things started moving quickly.  I went from a 4 to a 9.5 in one hour.  During this time I was having severe pain in my right leg and I couldn't get comfortable.  It was similar to the pain I experienced throughout my pregnancy, but was much worse.  I could feel a lot of pressure and so the nurse checked me and was surprised that I had dialated so quickly.  She told me not to push and that the doctor would be in soon.  It took all I had to listen to her.  After a few good pushes, five I believe, baby Emmett was delivered at 3:29 pm.  He weighed a healthy 8 lbs 2.8 oz and was 19.5 inches long.  I was able to hold my baby and meet him shortly after delivery, he stole my heart the instant he arrived.

Caden and Ava arrived at the hospital around 4:30 pm to meet their brother.  They were both so excited to meet and see him.  They responded wonderfully and it was a very happy moment for me.  Ava kept asking to look at him; whereas, Caden wanted to hold him.  Caden got him a toy camera and Ava got him a stuffed lion that rattles.  Emmett got Caden Archie, the stuffed pig, from Monsters University and Ava a stuffed My Little Pony.  Perhaps this is why the meeting went so well :).

When he was born we were not sure what he would be called.  The choices were: Emmett, Luke or Drew.  It wasn't until we were being discharged that we flipped a coin between Luke and Emmett.  Emmett won!!  We now have an A, B, C, D and E in our family.  I know, totally ridiculous!

Friday night was pretty rough as Emmett only slept a couple of hours and I was having quite a bit of pain.  We had a lot of visitors who were eager to meet him.  I love having people come to the hospital, it makes the days go by more quickly.  Saturday night was better because we sent him to the nursery so I was able to get a bit more sleep.

Sunday came and we were preparing to be discharged.  I was having some chest pain so my doctor wanted me to get an ultrasound on my legs.  All came back normal and we were headed home around 2 pm.

No comments: